clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Story - News

Oct 9, 2019 7:35 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Southampton Town Spends $3.6 Million Of CPF Money Between Four Properties

Oct 9, 2019 9:05 AM

Southampton Town Board members approved the spending of $3.6 million of Community Preservation Fund money to acquire 6.47 acres of land and the enhanced development rights on 23.6 acres of farmland at their meeting on Tuesday.

Robert Schaefer, the owner of the 23.6 acres of land that is located on North Main Street near North Sea Mecox Road in North Sea agreed to sell the enhanced development rights of farmland to the town for $2 million.

In doing so, 80 percent of the land is required to be farmed for food while the other 20 percent can be used to grow other things like flowers or other non-consumables.

Southampton Town Community Preservation Fund Manager Lisa Kombrink told Town Board members that selling the enhanced development rights puts a significant number of restrictions on the property. For example, if Mr. Schaefer wants to sell the property in the future, it has to be sold to a farmer. In the event that Mr. Schaefer cannot farm the land for some reason, the town can intervene and find a qualified farmer to lease the property to.

The additional $1.6 million was split among three properties.

The town purchased 0.67 acre on Montauk Highway in Westhampton from Kenneth and Shawn Bossung for $400,000, 1.7 acres on Oceanview Road in Hampton Bays from Thomas and Susan Leavey for $310,000 and 4.1 acres on Water Mill Towd Road in North Sea from Brocard Development Inc. for $920,000.

In addition to purchasing these properties, the town also scheduled public hearings to acquire 0.64 acre on North Magee Street from Maureen Mahoney and 0.43 acre on South Road near Beaver Dam Road in Westhampton from the Raynor Estate.

Both public hearings will take place at 1 p.m. on November 12 at Town Hall.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in